Here's what you need to make your own Taco Salad Bowls (Click here for printable recipe)
- An empty can (you can use a can of black beans or kidney beans to add to your salad so just use that one)
- 3-quart saucepan (one that's a little smaller in diameter than your flour tortillas)
- Vegetable Oil
- 10 inch Flour Tortillas (as many as you need)
1.) Make sure the label is completely off your empty can and wash and dry it thoroughly. Once you do this you never have to do it again. I just keep my can on the shelf with my pots.
2.) In the saucepan heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375 degrees. Not sure how to tell if your oil is ready? You can use a thermometer or it's even easier to test the oil with the bottom of a wooden spoon. You just place the wood spoon in the hot oil and if it bubbles then it's ready! You can also use wooden chopsticks like in the picture.
3.) Place 1 tortilla on top of the oil in the saucepan. Holding can with long-handled tongs, place can on center of tortilla. Push tortilla into oil by gently pushing the can down.
4.) Fry tortilla with the can for about 5 seconds or until set. Remove can with tongs. Fry the tortilla 1 to 2 minutes longer, turning it in oil until it's crisp and golden brown.
5.) Carefully remove tortilla from oil and drain excess oil from the inside. Turn tortilla shell upside down on paper towels to cool.
6.) Repeat with remaining tortillas.
You can add anything you like to a Taco Salad. There are so many varieties. Some have chicken, some have ground beef and others have no meat at all. What are your favorite ingredients for a Taco Salad?
Here are the ingredients I use to make Taco Salad:
- 3/4 cup Thousand Island Dressing (I'll share my favorite recipe below)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if you like it HOT)
- 1 can black or kidney beans drained
- 1 medium head of lettuce torn into bite size pieces
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup sliced olives
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- green onions, sliced
1.) Make Tortilla shells and Thousand Island Dressing.
2.) In a skillet cook beef over medium heat until browned. Then drain fat and add water. Next stir in all seasonings and beans. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes.
3.) Add lettuce to tortilla bowls top with all other ingredients. Pour dressing over top and garnish with avocado.
|I couldn't decide which picture to add. I liked them both but I forgot the cheese on this one. Which picture do you like better?|
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed olives or sweet pickle relish
- 2 Tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion ( I usually use my small grater for this)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 hard-boiled egg finely chopped (the grater works for this too)
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
How LUCKY are you to have read my blog today and get 3 recipes in 1 post! I hope I've inspired you to get in the kitchen and make a Taco Salad, it really is a lot of fun to make your own bowl. I would love to know if you try it!